Southampton Homestead Residential – 10-week, on-farm, learning experience
If you have dreamed of starting your own farming enterprise, and would like to be taught “on-farm”, then this is the opportunity for you. Regardless of the size and scale of your desired operation, we can support you to develop the knowledge and skills you need to get going.
We have nine volunteer positions in total available for the serious farm entrepreneur to come and learn the business with us. You will gain insights and be introduced to skills in:
- Raising animals for real food for the local community.
- Managing a farm landscape holistically using regenerative agricultural techniques, observations and thinking.
- Applying financial and business skills, and make business decisions.
- Working and leading within a team.
- Focussing both on the business and in the business, of farming
- 2017 Team 1: 3 positions. 10 weeks. Arrive Sunday 26th February 2017, depart Monday 7th May 2017.
- 2017 Team 2: 3 Positions. 10 weeks. Arrive Sunday 4th June 2017, depart Monday 14th August 2017.
- 2017 Team 3: 3 Positions. 10 weeks. Arrive Sunday 10th September 2017, depart Monday 20th November 2017.
To be leading-edge farmers, to share our farming journey and supporting people to start their own enterprises. It follows then that we are looking for some very special people seeking pathways into farming and food production.
If you are a self-starter, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, safety and situationally aware, optimistic, coachable, dependable, determined, and accountable, then we’d love to hear from you!
The following conditions apply.
- You must be at least 18 years of age.
- Be prepared to join us here for a 2 day “trial” stay prior to acceptance.
- Attend generally seven days days per week, with time off by arrangement. This experience is designed to give you an immersion into farming.
- Farming is not part-time.
- Full board and food is provided. Prepare your own breakfast, lunches and dinners. One evening meal a week is shared with the family. Cooking duties are rotated.
Michelle and Jeff, and the other farmers invest heavily in the physical, emotional, and mental needs of this opportunity; it’s the most education for the money you’ll ever receive. Maximum number, 3 people due to accommodation and time limitations.
Accommodations include a shared kitchen, and own ensuite with sleeping quarters .
Quarters do not include phone or internet, although the home building has wireless.
Like any experience, you will get out of it what you put into it. We have attainable benchmarks, but they require effort and sweat. Physically, you will be in better shape than you ever thought possible. Emotionally, you will know what you did today, why it was important, and feel great about it.
To apply, please email email@example.com with your name, where you live and why you are interested in this opportunity. We will contact you with a series of preliminary questions and arrange an interview.